FERD GAVINA

FERD GAVINA

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

FLOOD IN TUG VALLEY



I drove through my town the other day and I was just devastated at the scene that I saw. The picture above, with the building with the red roof, was formerly my son's Little League field. I don't know yet what the Little League will do about the games that was scheduled to be played. When the waters receded, the baseball field looked like a field of mud. The concession stand was layered in mud and all the equipment is ruined. As I continued to drive around, I saw people everywhere were cleaning up their homes, scooping up a lot of mud that accumulated. Many lost everything. Belfrey Middle School had 7 feet of water in it, and I believe they cancelled the rest of the school year. The flood of 2009 had made its mark and it is ugly. Churches, businesses, homes are destroyed. Cars are seen underwater, just as the first picture you see above. Yes , this is devastating. I thank the Lord that our home was not affected. The Red Cross is here providing relief. The Governors of West Virginia as well as Kentucky was here. The area we live in is right at the border of these two states so I saw devastation in two states. There is a lack of fresh water and there is a lack of bleach to disinfect the homes from the mold that can grow. It is going to take a long time for this place to get to normal. Please pray for the Flood Victims.....

1 comment: